Tuesday, May 30, 2006

A DAY AT THE BEACH

Yesterday it got up to about 90 degrees up here in the U.P., so I figured the boys and I would spend our Memorial Day at the beach. After meeting up with R for lunch (he had to work yesterday), we headed on down to Lake Superior.

C and IJ both ran for the water, but at this time of the year, Lake Superior is still pretty cold (actually, the water doesn't get that much warmer even later in summer-it's cooooold). C didn't seem to mind, but as soon as the water touched IJ's feet, he burst into tears and ran away crying. He stayed away from the water after that. C kept running in and out of the water, splashing around, but never went in higher than thigh level. He did sit on the beach and let the waves splash up underneath him, though. Both boys had a good time digging in the sand, building little castles, and then destroying them by stomping! ("Here comes IJ the Destroyer!") C even played with an 8 year old boy; the boy would build a castle complete with a flag, and then he would let C stomp on it. He was a pretty nice little boy. :)

After we finished at the beach and I got C and IJ dressed, I let them play at the playground up the hill from the beach for a few minutes before leaving for home. There is a bathroom there, and I asked C at least three times if he had to go potty. "No," he kept telling me. I shouldn't have believed him. I went to the water fountain to fill up their cups for the drive home. As I was filling a cup I turned my head to see C with his pants around his ankles, shooting a stream into the grass! And the best part? He did it right in front of a picnic table full of people eating. Lovely. I was expecting this to happen one day, though. At least it wasn't as bad as what his daddy did when he was C's age. His parents love to tell the story of how he dropped his pants in the middle of a hiking trail and pooped. :) Yeah. Pee I can handle. I'm not quite so sure about poop...






No comments: