Wednesday, May 17, 2006

MOTHER'S DAY WEEKEND

I had a pretty nice Mother’s Day weekend. I actually got my first present on Saturday. A few weeks before R and I had been talking about Mother’s Day gifts, and I told him I really didn’t need stuff. I would be very happy with him taking the kids out for a day so I could have a nice quiet day at home on my own. Usually it’s all of us going out together or just me taking the kids; R doesn’t take both kids out that often so that would really be a nice gift for me.

I didn’t have any idea that he was going to take the kids on Saturday, though. C and IJ ate breakfast and then R asked C if he wanted to go for a ride. I figured he was probably going to take C down to the hardware store to pick something up. But then R came back in the room and asked IJ if he wanted to go for a ride, too. I thought, okay, so he’s going to take them both to the hardware store. I was playing away on the computer, so I wasn’t really paying much attention. They left and I went to take the dogs out. Sitting at the bottom of the stairs next to the door was the diaper bag filled up with pull-ups for both kids and an extra pair of pants for C. I thought, uh-oh, if he’s taking them farther than just in town he’s going to be in trouble, since C was wearing underwear and he didn’t have anything extra with him (C is mostly potty trained but still has problems with wetting his pants, so he usually wears pull-ups when we go out). I called R and asked him if he meant to take that diaper bag, and where they were going. He said, “I’m giving you your day.” Ooooh, okay. But I was still worried about C wetting his pants and that he only had one extra pull-up for IJ with him. R just kept saying, “I can handle it!” Okay, I thought, we’ll just see… and I went about enjoying my kid-less day (with a nice loooooong shower…heavenly!! ;) ).

But I was wrong. They got back Saturday evening (in time for the NASCAR race that night of course) and C was still wearing the same pants and underwear, IJ was napping happily (without his bottle), and both kids had been good for him. And the best part: R finally got C to pee standing up! (Next up: working on aiming…) Damn, if I had taken the boys out and forgotten the diaper bag, C would have peed his pants, IJ would have pooped in his, and they both would have asked me for snacks and bottles (IJ) that I didn’t have with me. I’m still wondering how in the hell he managed that. But I’m thinking, if daddy’s that good, he needs to take the boys out more often…

On Sunday morning after breakfast R called both boys into the other room, and a few minutes later they came running in with my Mother’s Day gifts. They both had huge smiles on their faces as they came running towards me; IJ with his arms wrapped around a big frog figurine, C with a big lilac scented candle and waving a card yelling, “Mommy! I’ve got a letter for you!” It was so adorable, just watching them was a gift in itself. They handed me the gifts (yay! More frogs-I collect frogs, and lilacs are my fave flower, I love that smell!), and then I opened up The Most Adorable Card Ever (thank you for helping C pick that one out, R!):

C told me that the inside says: “I love you, mommy.” Awwww. :)

Auntie came over later and gave me a bunch more candles (you can never have too many candles) and a nice card. I was sure to rub my butt on her in appreciation. :D (Don’t ask, we’re strange.)

R grilled up some steaks for everybody that night, which were soooooooo delicious. We all happily engorged ourselves. ;) So all in all, it was a good weekend.

My Mother's Day Booty:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a lovely mothers day weekend. Good for you!