Wednesday, November 01, 2006

COMPLICATIONS

I haven't been around here that much lately. I've wanted to be, but I've been busy, and tired, and somewhat pukey. Why, you may ask?


Yep, number three is on the way. It's been on the way for 10 weeks now. R and I planned this third child, and started trying in July. We knew we wanted to try for a girl, and we knew we wanted our kids close in age, so now was the time. Except I know for sure now that no matter what gender this kid is, this is going to be our last. We always said the third would be the last, but I always had a feeling that if the third was another boy I'd probably want to try again for a girl. But I'm done now. This will be my last pregnancy.

This pregnancy has been quite a bit different from my pregnancies with the boys. First off, I've had morning sickness, something I didn't have with either boy (I'm hoping that's the sign this is a girl, keep your fingers crossed). But morning sickness isn't a big deal; what I've just gone through over the past week was a big deal.

Today was my second day home from spending a week in the hospital. For a time we were worried I would lose this baby, but I ended up only losing my right ovary and fallopian tube, thankfully.

It all started the Thursday before last, when I started getting what I thought was round ligament pain. This is something I experienced with both boys, always on my right side. But normally this would only last for a day, happen a couple times, and then I'd be done with it. Not this time. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday I had to spend sitting on the couch, otherwise I'd have pain on my right side. Sunday night I actually felt better, so R and I went to a movie, and I figured I was finally done with my ligament crap for this pregnancy.

Monday morning I woke up very early and in PAIN. All up and down my right side, and no matter what I did, I could not get comfortable. I started throwing up, and woke up R and told him that this was something worse than just the ligament and I wanted to go to the emergency room.

I was admitted, I had an ultrasound. The baby was in the right spot, I wasn't having a miscarriage, but I did have a large ovarian cyst. Normally a cyst forms on the ovaries and is needed to maintain the pregnancy. But mine was way, way too big. The doctors felt that I would need surgery, but they wanted to wait three or four weeks for the risk of miscarriage to drop. I lived on Demerol shots for a couple of days, before the doctors decided that they wanted to try to drain the cyst to give me some relief.

I had the procedure done, with the doctor draining as much fluid off as she felt she safely could. I felt a lot better afterwards and was hoping the whole ordeal was done. But the pain came back even worse, and eventually not even the Demerol shots would last long enough. The decision was made on Friday that I would need to have surgery, even with the risk to the baby. My pain was causing stress on the baby, so either way I could have lost it. It was very, very scary.

The surgery was done, and it was discovered that the cyst had caused my right ovary to wrap around itself, killing it. I had the cyst, the ovary, and the fallopian tube removed. But thankfully the baby stayed strong.

So I'm home now, recuperating, being waited on since I still can't do much of anything. At least I got home in time to see the boys in their costumes and leave to go trick or treating, even if I couldn't go. :) I had to miss C's preschool "Harvest Parade" where the kids dressed as spiders and sang spider songs, but R got the most adorable video of it (I will try and post it tomorrow since I'll still be here on the couch without much else to do :).

This is it though. We will have three kids. Obviously this might not happen again with subsequent pregnancies, but I just think I'm done. So everyone cross your fingers that I'll get my little girl! :D

1 comment:

Jonathon Morgan said...

congratulations!!! i'll cross my fingers for a little girl. Little-E is just over two now, and having a girl has been awesome!!!