Monday, June 05, 2006

YARD SALE EXTRAVAGANZA

Hoo boy, do I love a good yard sale. Sure, you have to pick through a lot of junk to find the good stuff, but when you do it's always cheap. I love finding good stuff for not a lot of money. Which is why I had been looking forward to Saturday for a while. Saturday was our area's annual yard sale day, where there are tons of sales at the same time. And they make a whole huge deal of it, with lots of places selling refreshments and food, and a sale headquarters with maps and the addresses of all the sales including what they were selling. Saturday morning nana and I packed up the boys and headed off to find some bargains.

And boy did we ever. We spent hardly any money and brought home a crapload of stuff. The deal of the day went to the roller skates for IJ that we found--for 5 cents. Yes, you read that right. 5 cents. I had been hoping to find a pair of skates for IJ because he has been showing interest when C is skating. They are the exact same kind as C's, the Fisher-Price adjustable ones. I got C's last year at the yard sales for $5(which I thought was a great deal), so I figured that the people meant dollars and accidentally wrote cents. I checked the skates out before I bought them and everything worked fine. I bring them up to the lady--5 cents. I just couldn't believe it. I still can't believe it! 5 cents!! :D

We also met some really nice people along the way. At one sale I found these cute Dr. Pepper baby bottles (R pretty much only drinks Dr. Pepper). I was just going to buy one since IJ is getting close to being off bottles (but we do want to have another child). I went up to pay for the bottle and was telling the lady about R's Dr. Pepper obsession, when she told me just to go ahead and take them all (there were four). I thought that was pretty nice. Then at another sale, IJ found this Buzz Lightyear action figure that he really liked. The only problem was that there was only one, and IJ didn't want to share with C. C started getting mad, and we tried to get him to pick out another toy but he wouldn't have it; he wanted Buzz Lightyear too. All of a sudden the lady running this sale asked, "Are you going to buy that Buzz Lightyear?" I answered yes, and then out of thin air this lady produced a HUGE talking Buzz Lightyear action figure and said we could have them both for the price of one. This lady saved the day! :) Nana and I also met a 7 months pregnant woman having her first child, and I think we scared her with IJ's 11 lb 2 oz birth story. :) She exclaimed to her husband: "Can you believe this woman birthed that baby?!"

The only dissapointment of the day was missing out on buying two little boys bikes complete with training wheels because they had already been sold. This was at the pregnant woman's place (I think they were selling their nephew's old stuff). What made it even worse, though, was that this lady actually just lives a street over from me, but I didn't recognize the street name until I looked at where it was on the map. As a result, that was one of the last sales we went to, when we could have gone there first and probably would have gotten those bikes. Oh well, you can't win them all I guess. :)

Some of our yard sale finds (including the 5 cent roller skates!)
Doctor scrubs! :)

No comments: