Tuesday, August 29, 2006

HE'S GOING TO PRESCHOOL


Yep, after all the Head Start drama, we finally have found a preschool for C to go to that we can afford (well, there was some procrastination involved...). It's $75 a month, plus the gas needed to drive him there (it's about a half hour from our house to the preschool), so it's just barely affordable. But yay! He's going to school! Oh, and C's pretty excited, too. :)

The school that he will be going to is in a church, a really big church. It has a gym in it. It's that big. And the school room? Huge. With a ton of toys. There are toys bursting out of every corner of that room. They even have a sandbox in the room. How cool is that?

When we took C to the preschool's open house last week, I thought that he might be confused. Back in May when we went to the Head Start screenings, we had shown him the building twice and made a big deal about that being where he would go to school. So of course I was worried when we pulled up to the church and he announced, "This is not my preschool." I worried about how I would get him to like this new place, and how to explain the whole situation with Head Start. We led him in explaining that yes, this was going to be his school, but as soon as he saw that room with the gazillion and four toys, I think he forgot all about that old place.

After we dropped off R back at work for a meeting, I turned to C in the car and asked him if he remembered what his teacher's name was (Mrs. Pond, who's been teaching there for 15 years). He thought a moment, and then said "Pond". I asked him if he knew her whole name. He smiled. "Fishie Pond" he said. I couldn't help but laugh, although I quickly corrected him. I just hope he doesn't call her that in school...


C is so excited to start school. He picked out a Spiderman backpack and wore it the whole time we were in the store, and when we got home he asked me to "hang it in the closet so Sasha won't get it". (Just a little bit ago I was hanging clothes in his closet and he came in and asked what I was doing, and when I told him he exclaimed "But my backpack is in there!" I said, "Yes, but your backpack is still hanging right here and it's fine." "Oh," he said and then turned and left.) Then, C asked me to draw a picture of him wearing his backpack. Inside his backpack he wanted me to draw an apple, fruit snacks, a blanket and pillow, his Blue from "Blue's Clues", pencils, and a lunch of peanut butter and jelly. I haven't told him yet that he's not going to need all this stuff for two hours at preschool. He's barely even going to need his backpack. C also had me draw IJ standing next to him, the school building, and me driving him to school. I do believe he's ready to go to preschool. :)


He starts school a week from Thursday. And I will probably cry. C and IJ seriously need to stop growing up...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey dwanna i guess your pretty excited that C is going to school. that is pretty exciting. well this is an interesting page but i still like myspace. i guess it won't be too long brfore IJ starts going to school huh. what will you do then???